The International Center on Nonviolent Conflict (ICNC) is an independent, non-profit educational foundation that develops and encourages the study and use of civilian-based, nonmilitary strategies aimed at establishing and defending human rights, democratic self-rule and justice worldwide.
ICNC Activities and Operating Guidelines
The purpose of ICNC is to develop and share knowledge related to nonviolent civil resistance and its practice with interested recipients throughout the world. This includes citizens and activists living under conditions of repression, injustice and corruption, and also educators, nongovernmental organizations, media professionals and members of the policy community.
To carry out our mission, We:
- organize educational events that are attended by diverse audiences, including activists, scholars, members of NGOs, policy professionals, and journalists
- hold university seminars and practitioner workshops
- support cutting edge social science research and publishing
- support the development of educational materials and resources for activists, scholars, members of NGOs and the policy community, and journalists
- translate educational materials on civil resistance into diverse languages
- provide small grants for practitioners and scholars
- curate and highlight news about civil resistance around the world
- connect people with educational resources and each other to help them in their work
Learn more about specific programs for:
In doing our work, we abide by the following operating guidelines:
- ICNC’s programs aim to reach diverse individuals and groups who seek understanding about civil resistance movements and are committed to establishing and defending human rights, democratic self-rule and justice worldwide.
- Our work with activists, organizers, and other practitioners is demand driven. In response to contacts and requests initiated by groups or people seeking to end oppression or injustice through nonviolent methods, ICNC can help in enabling seminars, workshops, and educational events to be held; and/or supporting general educational projects related to civil resistance.
- ICNC is an educational organization that develops and shares knowledge and information about civil resistance. In our work, we do not provide political or strategic advice to those contemplating or engaged in civil resistance; we do not assist activists in conducting civil resistance actions; and we do not furnish funds to subsidize a movement’s operations.
- ICNC can support research and general educational projects by other nongovernmental organizations and individuals if they are directly related to expanding understanding of the principles and skills involved in civil resistance.
- ICNC accepts no grants, contracts or funding of any kind from any government or government-related organization, or from any foundation, corporation or institution, public or private. It is funded entirely by the family philanthropy of the founding chair.
- ICNC observes the right to privacy of those who contact it, for the protection of people who may face repression or intimidation for exercising their rights. Accordingly, ICNC abides by requests for confidentiality from individuals who communicate with it.