ICNC organizes Regional Institutes on the Study and Practice of Strategic Nonviolent Action in partnership with local organizations in different parts of the world. These Institutes offer activists, practitioners, educators and academics opportunities to engage in structured and applied learning on civic organizing, mobilization and dynamics of nonviolent struggles for rights, freedom and justice.
The goals of the Regional Institutes are:
• to build a vibrant network of grassroots activists and scholars from the region who are interested in studying and/or involved in the practice of strategic nonviolent action;
• to offer structured learning about effective nonviolent organizing;
• to generate knowledge and share information about nonviolent campaigns in the region, including key lessons from case studies that inform more strategic approach to nonviolent actions; and
• to establish and expand the network of practitioners in the region and build partnerships between practitioners and scholars, to foster information exchange related to nonviolent organizing and mobilization for social justice, human rights and democratic rule of law.
Upcoming Regional Institutes
- South Asian Regional Institute, Kathmandu, Nepal, March 2019
- Latin American Regional Institute, Quito, Ecuador, April 2019 (Learn more and apply now)
- Eastern European Regional Institute, Kyiv, Ukraine, summer 2019
Eastern European Regional Institute, 2018
Kyiv, Ukraine. August 19-August 26, 2018
Institute Languages: Russian, Ukrainian, & English
The Eastern European Institute on the Practice and Study of Strategic Nonviolent Action offers both practitioners and scholars access to global knowledge and experience in the theory, history and practice of effecting needed political change through nonviolent means. It is designed for those who are unwilling to tolerate injustice and human rights violations and who are committed to finding more effective nonviolent strategies for change. It is meant for activists, scholars, and professionals who want to better understand how to change their communities, cities, countries, and even the world. The Institute will help attendees utilize the power of strategic nonviolent action campaigns to fight for truth, democracy and liberty. It is organized by the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict, the Taurida National Vernadsky University, Free Russia House, and the Laboratory of Democratic Transformations.
Latin American Regional Institute, 2018
Flasco, Quito, Ecuador. February 19-24, 2018
Institute Languages: English & Spanish
This Regional Institute offers practitioners and scholars alike a great opportunity to learn about, and reflect on, ways to achieve social change nonviolently. Participants will learn how strategic nonviolent action can shift the existing balance of power and increase awareness of issues of injustice with the goal of bringing about positive change. Case studies of nonviolent movements throughout Latin America and the world will also be explored, including a field trip to a local community mobilized and engaged in nonviolent actions. The Institute is organized by FLACSO Ecuador, CEMPROC, Pontificia Universidad Católica del and the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict and will take place in Quito, Ecuador from February 19 to 24, 2018.
“Weaving Transnational Activist Networks: Balancing International and Bottom-up Capacity-building Strategies for Nonviolent Action in Latin America”
by Jeffrey Pugh, Middle Atlantic Review of Latin American Studies, 2018 Vol. 2, No. 1, 130-144